Friday, June 6, 2014

What's my Style?: Part 1

So now we have arrived on the question that most girls have asked themselves at one time or another in their lives, but don't exactly know how to answer. What is my style? So what do you do to discover your own style? How do you know it's you when you find it? What if you like a certain celebrity's style a lot but don't know how to mix it into your own personal style? We just might have some of the puzzle pieces that you have been needing to complete the picture/look.

First of all we have done a little research and have simplified the MANY MANY styles into four general categories.  (This has been no easy task!)

-The Sporty/Casual Look

-The Chic/Contemporary Look  

-The Boho Look (sometimes referred to as "Gypsy")

-The Business Look (could also be termed "Sophisticated")

 Here are a few lovely examples referring to the above list. 

The Chic Look

Source
*No Source*
*No Source*
The Boho Look

*No Source*
Anthropologie
Source
More references to this look - Boho-Style

Business Look

Source
Source - Etsy
Source
Sporty/Casual


No source
No source
Source



Via Pop Of Style

Now of course nobody is going to be absolutely one category.  Everyone is a mix of at least two or three of these. But in most cases one style shows up more then the others.  See any that look familiar to your style?  For example I (Emelie) definitely fit into the Chic Style section, but I have several outfits in my closet that reflect the Business and Boho categories.  Everyone has their own little twist of these 4 different styles in them - what's yours!?  (:  Don't exactly know which one is most you, or find yourself gravitating towards one style but wanting a totally different look? That it totally normal! We ALL have this problem at some time or other and that is why we are doing this series...this blog actually! To get some answers! SO, here are the two questions to ask yourself today.....

What is MY style? 
and
Do I like a different style better then the one I am reflecting now?

Now one mistake we (Marissa and I ) have made before was trying to suppress our own style and completely copy  someone else's style. There is nothing wrong with this as long as you don't completely throw out the personal touches and style that you would otherwise wear. I (Emelie) made this mistake big time! I saw some cute (at the time) celebrity who had just the cutest outfits (Or so I thought). So you know what I did? Yep you guessed it! I threw out my own special style and copied her style to the T! Hair and EVERYTHING! Only problem was I did not exactly have the same build as her or the same face shape so things that looked good on her looked frumpy or weird on me...not to even mention the hairstyle! LOL! I looked like someone who had not washed her hair in a week and whose mom just didn't care what I looked like!  She most definitely did, but unfortunately had learned when I was younger that I was extremely stubborn about "my style".  Once I heard that someone thought otherwise I threw up a brick wall around myself and said "no, no, no" to any advice. Stupid huh? Well I learned my lesson and here is the story.

*All in the name of Comfortable*
-
Our family was going on vacation and everyone in the house was extremely excited! Papa made the trip to our storage space and hauled out all 9 (at the time)  of our suitcases and duffles. So we were just on top of the world as we hauled those suitcases into our rooms and started packing. Well up until this point when we went on vacation our dear Mama chose all our garments for us.... or for the older girls run all the outfits by us before she packed them for us! (Nice huh?) Well Miss Stubbornness here (me) decided that she wanted to wear only comfortable things. No cute handmade dresses my Mama had specially made, no cute sandals. Now my Mama was horrified and tried to persuade me to wear something else but can you guess what I did? I argued and gave her an awful time until she finally relented and told me I could pack whatever I wanted. So yes, dear ladies and gentleman, I went and packed my "comfortable" basketball shorts that hit me awkwardly at the knee, big white socks that came up at least three inches above my tennis shoes (VERY 80s/90s).  Yes, tennis shoes.... and last but not least a big baggy t shirt.  That is what I chose to wear! Now I can not remember what else was packed for myself but sadly this certain outfit was the one that I stubbornly chose to wear (not to mention my horrid hair style) most of the trip AND when we went out into the sweet quaint little town that we were vacationing in! And boy did I strut around like I knew it all. Into Chico's I marched...along Main Street, into the boutiques, into Starbucks, and around everywhere else we went. And while I was strutting along ahead of everyone else, the rest of my dear little siblings were dressed to 9's and 10's (cute little dresses, curly hair, straight hair, sandals, you name it.)   They were all adorable and sweet little things) And then there was me. Sadly this was not the worst of it. Whether you may know it or not I am not at all camera shy and love to have my picture taken and so on and so on....so when my Mama brought out the camera...yes (sniff) I made sure I was front and center. So now when we are sitting around the living room happily looking through old photo albums there are "those" certain pictures that always make me cringe and promise myself never to argue with my mother about an outfit again. And most of the time I have kept that promise. (: 

So what can we learn from this sad and hilarious story? 
1
 When we may think something looks great on us, others may see something we don't, and it is our duty to listen and consider their advice.

Always always listen to your parents. They almost always know best. 



Emelie Claire

1 comment:

  1. I have always liked the sporty/casual look as well as the Chic look for myself. Obviously when you are overweight the sporty/casual is a nice way to hide sometimes ;) and with the Chic look you have to be careful when short and fat because you can really bring attention to that with long skirts/dresses, patterns, long jackets or short jackets, blouses and jeans, etc. I am just not good at putting the Chic look together and feeling confident. I also rarely do anything or go anywhere to use that attire. I enjoyed your blog entry and am looking forward to learning!

    ReplyDelete